To use Sohodox from multiple-machines you will need to first install Sohodox in the Server mode on one of the machines on your network. The folder in which the Sohodox database is installed should be accessible from other machines on your network. You can then install Sohodox Client on other machines on your network. Point all the Sohodox Clients to the Server.
There are no separate setup files for Sohodox Server and Client. They come in the same setup file.
Configuring Sohodox DB for multi-user
- Make sure Sohodox is not running on the machine.
- Share the folder in which Sohodox DBs are located (This is usually the ‘C:\Sohodox Databases’ folder). When you use Sohodox over the network (multi-user environment), you will need to share the ‘C:\Sohodox databases’ folder and provide Change permissions on the Share as well. To do this… i) Right-click on the ‘Sohodox databases’ folder and click on Properties. The Properties dialog will be launched. ii) Click on the ‘Sharing’ tab. Enable Sharing. iii) Click on the ‘Permissions’ button on this dialog. Make sure you add the users who will need to work with Sohodox to this list, giving the user ‘Modify’ permission. iv) Click on OK. Also make sure you provide Modify/Write permissions on the folder to the all the windows users who will use Sohodox in a multi-user environment.
- Share the Sohodox folder located in the Application data folder. For Windows 7/Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 this is usually the C:\ProgramData\Itaz\Sohodox folder. ( The ‘ProgramData’ folder is usually a hidden folder in Windows. You will manually need to type this path in the Address bar) For Windows XP/Windows 2003, this is usually the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ITAZ\Sohodox folder. (The ‘Application Data’ folder is usually a hidden folder in Windows. You will manually need to type this path in the Address bar)
- Login as superadmin, from Sohodox Server.
- Login as superadmin, from Sohodox Server.
- A dialog will now pop up. Click the Automatic button on it.
Note: If the ‘Sohodox databases’ folder is not shared, the Manual configuration dialog will be launched.
- The Multi-User Configuration window will be launched and will start configuring your DB automatically for multi-user environment.
- Once the DB is configured Status will display Configuration Completed on the Multi- User Configuration window. Click the Close button to close the window.
- The DB will now be ready for multi-user environment. Move to Step 2: Installing Sohodox Client.
You will need to first make Sohodox DB’s path to UNC to do this…
- Open the Command Line Window (Start > All programs > Accessories > Command Prompt).
- In the Command Line window type the following at the cursor…
“C:\Program Files\Sohodox Desktop\Sohodox.exe”/reconfiguremaindb
(Assuming that Sohodox is installed in the default location.)
- Now, hit the Enter key.
- Sohodoxwill now launch. Now, specify the location (new drive) where the Main DB is located. (Please specify the UNC path for the folder ‘Sohodox databases’ (\\MachineName\ShareName\Sohodox databases) instead of the mapped drive path (E:\….) in Sohodox.)
- After this is configured, you will get a message confirming that Command Line action has been completed. Sohodox will now close.
- Start Sohodox. The Main DB will now be opened.
You will now need to make the File Store’s path to UNC to do this…
- In the Settings pane, select the File Stores node.
- Double-click the Default File Store in the list. The File Store – Default File Store dialog will be launched.
- In the Select on Enter the path for the file store box, enter the UNC path for the location of the File Store. (\\MachineName\ShareName\MainDB\Default File Store)
- Click the Save and Close button.
Configuring Sohodox Client
- Start Sohodox. Sohodox will ask to specify the path where the Sohodox ‘multi-user.gdx’ file is located. The file is located on the machine on which Sohodox is installed in the Server mode.
- You will need to browse for this file located on the Server machine. If the Server machine is installed on Windows 7/Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008, then browse to the following location C:\ProgramData\Itaz\Sohodox folder If the Server machine is installed on Windows XP/Windows 2003/Windows 2000, then browse to the following location C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ITAZ\Sohodox folder
- Click OK to continue. Sohodox will now start.
Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or difficulty during installation.