One of the exciting additions to SOHODOX in Version 8 is the Dropbox integration. With the increasing use of mobile devices and apps to conduct business on the move, we wanted to put in a tool that would help SOHODOX users add their files to the cloud and access them from anywhere using an Internet connection. This was something on our mind for quite some time now, and finally with SOHODOX v8.0 we are introducing this fantastic feature.
So how exactly does the Dropbox integration with SOHODOX work?
Dropbox is a service that lets you access your files from anywhere using an Internet connection. SOHODOX integrating with Dropbox means you can choose which documents in SOHODOX should be made available via Dropbox. You can then view and edit these documents on any device which supports Dropbox. SOHODOX will ensure that the edited copy gets copied back to SOHODOX. This is how it works:
- Download the desktop version of Dropbox to your computer.
- Update your SOHODOX to the latest version from here.
- If you have not yet downloaded SOHODOX on your computer, first download and install the latest version.
- SOHODOX will automatically create a special tag named Dropbox.
- Add the Dropbox tag to all documents you want to sync – select them all and type Dropbox in the Tags field; or drag all documents onto the Dropbox tag.
- The documents will immediately be copied to the SOHODOX sub-folder in Dropbox. The original document will still stay in SOHODOX as it is.
- You can now access these documents from anywhere!
Benefits of syncing documents with Dropbox
- Anytime Access: Small business owners and managers often have to don several hats and they do not have the luxury to recruit specialists for every function. Consequently, they are often out of their offices interacting with clients, vendors, government agencies and the likes. They need “anytime access” to their documents. Dropbox integration makes this possible. While you are in the office, just select the files you want to make available via Dropbox. You will now stay connected to these documents through an Internet connection.
- Online Backup: What if your hard drive crashed while you were commuting to your prospect’s office to close a deal? Do you need to say goodbye to the deal? No! Rather, say goodbye to data loss, as you would have already synced your documents onto your Dropbox account online. Indeed, Dropbox integration gives you the capability to have a replica of your document library online, letting you work worry-free!
- Mobile Access: If you own a Smartphone, you can install the Dropbox App on it. This will let you access and view your SOHODOX documents that you synced with Dropbox online. So even if you do not have access to your laptop for some reason, you can still stay connected to your files through the app. Currently, Dropbox has an app for Android, iPhone and Blackberry phones.
Other major benefits of integrating SOHODOX with Dropbox is its ability to let you edit your documents from anywhere, add new documents from anywhere, share your documents with others and collaborate on them. We will look at this in some detail in an upcoming blog post. Stay tuned!